Welcome to ConsciousMess!

This is a lifestyle blog, but you won’t find any posts on how to style your table at Thanksgiving, how to edit your photos to be picture-perfect, or how I apply my makeup. (Because I’m not Martha Stewart, I can’t take a picture to save my life, and I know nada about makeup.) What you will find is raw truths about motherhood, hacks for reducing your carbon footprint, budget-friendly travel tips, and mindful living strategies. But this is not an all-or-nothing blog. Just like in my life, I strive for balance, so I don’t write about extreme couponing, going 100% green, or fending off cockroaches in your hostel. My intention is for everything I post about to be both practical and reasonable.

And now, a little about me…

Who am I?

I’m sentimental, devoted, opinionated, intuitive, outgoing, sensitive and passionate.

I am anything but a sheeple.

Travel is my ultimate passion, but being born a Cancer, I also crave the comforts of home. I’m a proud homeowner in lakeside Kincardine, Ontario, where I live a simple life with my baby, Kieran, and my fur baby, Zadie.

I’m not ashamed to admit I’m a basic bitch in a lot of ways. I love everything about fall, especially sipping on pumpkin spice lattes, jacket and boot weather, fall fairs, root vegetables, the sound of leaves crunching underfoot, and apple picking (and eating). My favourite TV show of all time is Friends — I can watch it over and over and it still gives me the same feel-good vibe. I’ve been to Las Vegas three times, gotten inappropriately drunk at swanky hotel pools, and have hash tagged #whathappensinvegas on my Instagram photos. I’m a die-hard iPhone user — I’ve switched once and will NEVER go back to the dark side.

I speak French (poorly) and basic Spanish. I’m deliciously addicted to coffee. 99% of the real estate in my heart is occupied by my family and dog, and the other 1% is reserved for penguins. I may or may not be one of those people who puts Christmas decorations up in November. I also really love peanut butter. (Did I say love? It’s more of an unhealthy obsession.)

I don’t have much downtime, but when I do, I really like to sit on my patio and drink a craft beer, watch Netflix and sip red wine, or do some gentle yoga (sometimes I drink while I’m doing yoga too — no seriously, my favourite class is called unWINED. It’s the best.).

My Story

How I got here is actually pretty interesting. Sometimes, I kind of feel like my life is a movie.

In 2014, I was happily married to the man of my dreams, living in a brand new, 2100 square foot home, sporting name-brand everything and a one-karat diamond on my hand, and getting ready to start my own family. Life seemed perfect.

​One year later, I found myself separated and living in a big, empty house with a massive hole in my heart. I lost 15 pounds in the first three weeks and fell into a deep depression. I didn’t know who I was without him.

In the months that followed, I tried a million different things to reignite my spark. I traveled. I ate. I drank. I partied. I cried (A LOT). I meditated (A LOT). And I turned to writing to try and make sense of my life.

It took a lot of work — and time — but these days, I’m happy again. My life hasn’t turned out to be picture perfect like I thought it would, but I wouldn’t change a thing. My travels left me with an unexpected pregnancy and now, a gorgeous son. My divorce led me back to lost friendships and helped me forge new ones that I cherish. My heartbreak made me realize that I am strong, and there is nothing I can’t handle. My depression reawakened my love of writing. My immense sadness made me appreciate the beauty in the world that I used to take for granted. I believe with every fibre of my being that all of this had to happen to make me take a good hard look at myself and who I was becoming. I’m a better person than I’ve ever been before, and I’ll never stop putting in the work to be the best version of myself.

What I Do

I consider myself a “Jill of all trades”: I’m a certified elementary school French immersion teacher, a meditation coach, and a part-time blogger (check out my portfolio for samples of my work).

I spent a year in journalism school before changing my major to English, which eventually became a double major in English and French. I’m a contract writer for Best Buy Canada, wellness blogger for Pink Umbrella Retreat Centre, and have been featured on LeesaKlich.com.

If you’re interested in working with me in any capacity, feel free to contact me.